Paddle Tour on the Niers
East of the Netherlands border, the Niers flows through a part of the Niederrhein. For the
century-long industrial use, this part of the river was straightened, channeled and provided with weirs. The construction of sewage treatment plants in the last century helped to decrease the water pollution and since the 1990s, more and more river sections have been renaturalized, which has made many fish indigenous again. These things have also increased the recreational value, so that we can enjoy our leisure activities.
- 1-2 paddle days, depending on the booking
- Organisation and execution by our trained canoe guides
- Training in theory and practice according to BV Canoe guidelines
- PE-hiking kayak incl. paddle, life vest and if necessary sprayskirt
- Organization and reservation of the campsite and the accommodation cabins
Meeting Point57537 Wissen (approx. 40 km north-west of Duisburg)
Duration1 or 2 Days
Our tour starts between Geldern and Kevelaer In Wissen (approx. 40 km northwest of Duisburg) and we will be in Kessel after 2 days at the Dutch border. If you have only one day, you can paddle to Weeze with us on the first day or until Weeze on the second day. Your guide will acquaint you with the most important paddling techniques and also provide advice and action on the water. So you can enjoy the ride and get a very different angle to the meadows and fields that are around the Niers. During the 2-day tour we will stay in Weeze on the campsite and eat together in the evening.
Your guide will stay in a tent during the 2-day tour and will be happy to reserve a place for you on the campsite in Weeze. If you want to have a solid roof over your head, we will gladly assist you in finding a suitable hotel or guesthouse. You will receive further information in the travel documents.
Everyone cares for themselves. During the 2-day tour we will go to dinner together and in the Morning have breakfast together on the meadow by the water or we use the service of the Paddlerbreakfast at the camp or go to the nearby café. For lunch we put together a delicious lunch package, which of course is also recommended for the 1-day tour.
You should bring
- Swimwear and shoes that may be wet (e.g. old sneakers or neoprene shoes, please do not wear sandals)
- If necessary, a eyewear strap
- Depending on the temperature, you should also bring fast drying outerwear (e.g. fleece)
- Spare clothes for paddling
- If necessary, rain jacket and trousers (according to the weather forecast)
- Camping equipment If necessary (only if you are staying in the tent
Additional costs (not included in the tour price)
- Arrival and departure
- Taxi rides if necessary
- Shuttle to the entrance with the vehicles of the participants, taxi or public transport
Conditions for participants
For this tour you only have to be able to swim and be at least 9 years old. You should have a normal physical physique, have fun in nature and not be afraid of water. There are daily stages of 14-20 km planned, with note that we have all day time for this. You can be a canoe novice, but experienced canoeists are also welcome.