Whitewater for advanced beginners - 1
If you have been infected by the paddle virus in the Whitewater weekend course on the Ruhr, this course is just the thing for you. In this course we build on the learned techniques and tactics of the beginner's course. We strengthen the familiar kayak basics such as forward strokes, bow strokes and paddle support and learn new techniques and tactics.
- Training in theory and practice
- Training according to the guidelines of the BVKanu, only by trained canoe instructors
- Training ratio canoe teacher/pupil maximum 1:6
Meeting PointCampsite Stolle, Hattingen an the Ruhr
About this course
Contents of this course
- Consolidation of the base strike forward
- Firming bow strike, paddle brace
- Sweeping water tactics and techniques
We meet at 11.00 and start training immediately after distributing the material. We repeat the basics from the beginner's course-usually only on the shallow water, then in the current below the campsite. In the numerous sweeping waters we train our kayaking techniques and paddle up to about 16.00. After the course, we'll end the day with a beer (or Fanta) and delicious grilled food at the campsite.
The second day we usually spend at the Isenberger torrent. Here we refine our whitewater techniques and learn new things. The day starts at 10.00 and ends between 15.00 and 16.00.
What you should bring for paddling
- Complete WW Equipment (kayak, paddle, sprayskirt, helmet, life vest, cold protection, throwbag). These items of equipment can be rented from us.
- Swimwear and shoes that are allowed to get wet (e.g. old sneakers or neoprene shoes)
- If necessary, a eyewear strap
- Depending on the temperature, you should bring a fast drying outerwear (e.g. fleece pullover)
Conditions for participants
This advanced course is aimed at the approaching whitewater paddlers, who already have had our weekend beginners-course. In this course we repeat and strengthen the content of the beginner's course on quiet as well as running water. To be able to participate, you must master the safe exit from the capsized kayak. You also need to know what a eddy is and how to drive in and out of it theoretically.
Accomondation in Hattingen
We like to stay together at the campsite "Stolle" in Hattingen. Here you can stay in your tent, camper, VW-bus or caravan. Of course you can also sleep at home, but then a lump sum for the use of the toilets, the jetty etc. is applicable.
The Birschel Mühle (only 5 minutes on foot from the campsite) Our participants always get good reviews. In addition to single and double rooms, there are also apartments for two to four people.
A slightly cheaper alternative is the Hotel West Westphalia Hof, only about ten minutes walk away from the campsite.
Meals during the course
Directly at the campsite there is no possibility to buy something to eat. So you should bring food for lunch breaks. On the evening of the first day we throw in the grill. If you would like to barbecue with us, you should have something for barbecue. By car you are also fast at the nearest supermarket - on foot you need at least 20 minutes one way. If we do not grill, for example because the weather should be very bad, we go to a greek restaurant in Hattingen city. In this case you would be notified by mail from us.
Hattingen is located at the gates of the Ruhr area (capital of Culture 2010). The cities Essen and Bochum offer a colourful bar and gastronomy life. You can also hang on to the course for a few days and experience the industrial culture of this metropolitan area as well as visit the many museums and old industrial facilities. The Henrichshütte, one of the many stations on the "Route of Industrial culture", is located directly opposite our campsite.
So your paddling career could go on:
- Kayak-White Water Construction Course 1 (FE1) in the beautiful Soca Valley
- Learn the kayaking role in one of our roll course
- We provide kayak, paddle, life vest, sprayskirt, neoprene suit, paddle jacket and helmet for an extra charge
- If necessary the Accomondation at the campsite stolle (tent or camper/caravan): approx. 14,- euro
- If you do not stay at the campsite, the campsite will charge a lump sum for use of the toilets, the jetty etc. (5,- euro per day, i.e. 10,- euro for the weekend).
- Own arrival
- If necessary, short trips on site (for exit, entrance etc.)