Paddle Tour on the Ruhr
Even though the Ruhr was a long time essential for a whole region, it has retained its own charm and, on its way to the Rhine, not only pass through industry and cities, but is often also surrounded by fields, meadows and small forests. The valley of the Ruhr is used intensively by a wide range of recreation seekers. Not only cyclists use the Ruhrtal bike path, but also skaters, joggers and walkers. On the Ruhr are sailors, surfers, rowers, SUP and paddlers on their way.
- 1-2 paddle days, depending on the booking
- Organisation and execution by our trained canoe guides
- Training in theory and practice according to BV Canoe guidelines
- Rent of a PE-touring kayak incl. paddle, life vest and if necessary sprayskirt
- Organisation and reservation of the campsite
Meeting PointWitten (approx. 13 km southwest of Dortmund)
Duration1 or 2 Days
You can paddle for 1 or 2 days with us. We start in Witten (about 13 km southwest of Dortmund) and will be in Essen after 2 days and about 30 kilometers of river. If you only like to paddle a day with us, it goes on the first day until Hattingen and on the second day from Hattingen again. Your guide will give you a detailed introduction to the paddle technique and also be on the water with advice and action. Even if you know the Ruhr area, you will be amazed at how the surrounding cities, meadows, fields and forests look from the perspective of the river.
Your guide will stay in a tent during the 2-day tour and will be happy to reserve a place for you on the campsite in Hattingen. If you want to have a solid roof over your head, we will gladly assist you in finding a suitable hotel or guesthouse. You will receive further information in the travel documents.
Everyone caters for themselves. During the 2-day tour we will dine together in the evening and have breakfast in the morning on the meadow by the water. However, the nearest bakery is about 2 km away. If you are afraid of walking, you must take bread or cereals with you! For lunch we put together a delicious lunch package, which of course is also recommended for the 1-day tour.
You should bring
- Swimwear and shoes that may be wet (e.g. old sneakers or neoprene shoes, please do not wear sandals)
- If necessary, a eyewear strap
- Depending on the temperature, you should also bring fast drying outerwear (e.g. fleece)
- Spare clothes for paddling
- If necessary, rain jacket and trousers (according to the weather forecast)
- Camping equipment If necessary (only if you stay in the tent)
Additional costs (not included in the tour price)
- Arrival and departure
- Taxi rides if necessary
- Shuttle to the entrance with the vehicles of the participants, taxi or public transport
Conditions for participants
For this tour you only have to be able to swim and be at least 9 years old. You should have a normal physical physique, have fun in nature and not be afraid of water. There are daily stages of approx. 15 km planned, taking into account that we have all day time for this. You can be a canoe novice, but experienced canoeists are also welcome.