SUP & HIKE in Crete
This trip gives you a taste for the best Crete has to offer and allows visitors to experience the adventurous side of the island. It is ideal for those who seek getting off the beaten track, away from tourist hoards and who enjoy cultural immersion, photography and water sports.
First two days - From North to South
Day 1 - Heraklion
Arrival at Heraklion airport, the group is met by their guide. Transfer to the hotel.
Day 2 - Chania/Paleochora (SUP)
Heraklion-Chania by bus, lunch in the old harbour of Chania and later in the afternoon, we leave the city of Chania and head south to Paleochora. After checking in at the hotel, we will have our first (wet!)
hands-on experience with the SUP board through lessons on basic safety, paddling technique and sea orientation. Afterward, se are fdree to explore the local beaches and dive in the crystal clearwaters of the Libyan Sea.
Days of Active - Paddling & Hiking in the South
Paleochora-Sougia (SUP)We leave Paleochora and paddle our boards to Sougia. On the way there we will spend some time looking at the remains of the ancient site of Lissos.
Sougia-Omalos (hike)We leave Sougia and the sea to walk up the Agia Irini Gorge. The path is good and the scenery beautiful, quite different from that of the previous days. We arrive at the top of the gorge (600 m) for lunch. Afterwards, the minibus brings us to Omalos in the White Mountains, where we will spend the night. (4 hours hiking)
Omalos - Agia Roumeli (hike)The first part of the walk at Xyloskalo is the steepest, but the path is very well constructed. Soon (after 1 hour) we reach the bottom of the gorge and follow the river-bed. We can stop to eat our packed lunch by the river. After 6 hours of walking, we reach the village of Agia Roumeli where we will spend the night. There is plenty of time for swimming or just resting on the beach. (5-6 hours)
Agia Roumeli-Loutro (SUP)Today we paddle our boards from Agia Roumeli to Loutro, leaving early.
Loutro-Sfakia (SUP)We go on our SUP boards from Loutro to Sfakia, stopping on the way to swim at the Sweet Water beach. From Sfakia, an old village situated against the backdrop of the tall peaks of the White Mountains, the minibus brings us back to Heraklion.
Heraklion -A last opportunity to explore the city of Heraklion. Transfer to the airport for the flight home.
- Insurance: Participants should be covered by their own personal travel-health insurance and prior to the trip. The personal insurance must at least cover medical expenses as well as air rescue and the cost of repatriation.
- Transportation: We travel by our own mini-bus, which leaves us to walk and continues, with our baggage, to the next place where we will stay for the night.
- Accommodation: Hotels in the cities, village pensions throughout the trip (all with private facilities). The trip prices are based on double occupancy.
- Food: Every morning we have breakfast in the hotels, picnic lunch on route and a dinner at local tavern. (Vegetarians are welcome on the trips).
- Guide & SUP instructor
- SUP gear (board, paddle, leash, life vest), bottle of water