Canoe Tour through the Ruhr area
Canoeing in Europe's largest industrial region. The Ruhr area was known until the last century for coal mines and steel production, before the big structural change. So we often witness the industrial past during our canoe trip.
- 1-2 paddle days, depending on the booking
- Organisation and execution by our trained canoe guide
- Training in theory and practice according to BV Canoe guidelines
- PE-touring kayak incl. paddle, life vest and if necessary sprayskirt
- Organisation and reservation of the campsite
Meeting PointWitten or Hattingen (see below)
Duration1 or 2 Days
You can paddle with us for one day or two. On the first day we start in Witten (approx. 13 km southwest of Dortmund) and on the second day in Hattingen. After 2 days and 30 kilometers on the river we will be in Essen. Your guide will give you a detailed introduction to the paddle techniques and also provide advice and action on the water.
On this tour we can visit the following museums (entrance fees are not included in the tour price):
- Zeche Nachtigall
- Henrichshütte Hattingen
- Train museum Dahlhausen
Your guide will stay in a tent during the 2-day tour and will be happy to reserve a place for you on the campsite in Hattingen. If you want to have a solid roof over your head, we will gladly assist you in finding a suitable hotel or guesthouse. You will receive further information in the travel documents.
Everyone caters for themselves. During the 2-day tour we will dine together in the evening and have breakfast in the morning on the meadow by the water. However, the nearest bakery is about 2 km away. If you are afraid of walking, you should take bread or cereals with you! For lunch we put together a delicious lunch package, which of course is also recommended for the 1-day tour.
You should bring
- Swimwear and shoes that may be wet (e.g. old sneakers or neoprene shoes, please do not wear sandals)
- If necessary, a eyewear strap
- Depending on the temperature, you should also bring fast drying outerwear (e.g. fleece)
- Spare clothes for paddling
- If necessary, rain jacket and trousers (according to the weather forecast)
- Camping equipment If necessary (only if you stay in the tent)
Additional costs (not included in the tour price)
- Arrival and departure
- Entrance fees to the museums
- Taxi rides if necessary
- Shuttle to the entrance with the vehicles of the participants, taxi or public transport
Conditions for participants
For this tour you only have to be able to swim and be at least 9 years old. You should have a normal physical physique, have fun in nature and not be afraid of water. There are daily stages of approx. 15 km planned, taking into account that we have all day time for this. You can be a canoe novice, but experienced canoeists are also welcome.